so young our clothes still didn't fit

I came of age
and no sooner found you
show me the way to shake a thought,
or tell me how I could stop your heart,
just to catch up.
We were the reckless ones
is what I've been told.

I had heard
somewhere that they were stamping
and trampling on you
that's why we carry blades,
you and I and all of us
to do what words never seemed able.

She was working in a topless bar
and I stopped in for a beer
She didn't get along with herself
and wasn't too keen on anyone else,
she said
"Too many parties and too many pals
will break your heart someday,
might as well give up on tomorrow's yesterdays."

Walking next to her
feeling a little like a deep sea diver
lost in space
and as for you
our paths will never cross, too bad
cause I wouldn't be ashamed
to been seen with you anywhere.
Just another circumstance beyound our control
like the t.v.
phone
and news of the world.
Muslims in the streets
burning fires
and bombing our attempts to blossom.

But once again there are still those lovers
lying on the floor
they don't (and shouldn't) see past their fingers
intertwined and locked together
like that odd old toy your grandma had
that we found in the barn
on a day too hot to yell
we didn't need voices anyway
not with lips like yours.

Now we roam the streets
with our group of little ghosts,
abnormals anonymous.
Kids who still drink too much
fuck too loud
and fight too often.
Mingle and yell
with the grace of a corpse
stuck in the surf
after storming those beaches
sixty years ago.


readers