pristine and proper

When will you feel the pain of it all?
You look so put together
so pristine and proper.
You've got all the things that I'm drinking for.
Do I really mean nothing to you anymore?
I guess it doesn't matter,
and I should be stronger,
and I should be sober.

Well I was just a boy when we fell in love
so many years ago.
But did I not become a good man?
I wanted nothing less for you.
Was I not what you waited for,
in regards to whatever.
Now this city knows nothing of me,
and it knows you all too well.
I wish someone would tell me
that it'll all work out better.

I went out to walk off my drink,
and ignored the cigarette smoke
that left my lips and was gone forever
(like you)
Was I a cage to you?
But you seemed so bright
when you slid your little fingers between mine.
I wished you had said
please don't leave me,
and I wish you'd say please don't leave.

I wish I could hear you say my name
just one last time.
"I just need you, my river.
I just need you, my love."
well oh no, never.
well oh no, I tried.

How can a man 
love a woman who he claims has no soul
how can a man 
love a woman who has hurt him so,
I don't know,
but i do i do i do.
fuck, I still do.



readers